Join me in Snarkville

Being snarky is the only thing that makes this place enjoyable. After all, if you can't laugh at others, how do you feel superior?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Snarkville, Left Coast

Treat me no differently than you would any Queen. I rule my Snarky kingdom with some kind of dignity, but I refuse to add grace. I rule with my Prince of a husband (he can't be King, since he married into his royal title) and my son the Duke of Snarkville.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Don't I love getting gifts...

So, yes it took me about a second and a half to decide I HAVE to do this secret pal thing. I love the idea -- get gifts/give gifts. I'm all over it. My poor secret pal will hopefully want to chat all the time, because I'm nutty that way. Anyway, in order to let the sweet, kind, pretty person out there who will be drawing my name know what kind of freak, I mean person, I am -- here is my offical survey. Please feel free to ask me more questions if you need me to clarify or if you are just one of my friends who wishes to continue to prove I'm a freak -- see that I've knit in a public potty. (In my defense, I was going to be there a LONG time and had no book -- what else would you do?)
So, here's everything you would like to know about the knitting me and weren't afraid to ask.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm really big on natural fibers, mostly wool, cashmere, and silk. I hate novelty yarns (which I tend to call "Muppets") and I don't tend to like 100% acrylics.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Um, um. I'm a little embarrassed here. I HAVE this HUGE knitting bag where all my tools live. I have two sets of interchangeable needles that I do probably 90% of my non-sock knitting with. However, the balance of my needles live in their original bags or sleeves.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
On May 7th, I will be a one year old knitter. I have to say, I'm not looking forward to having knit for a year -- mostly because I LOVE when people ask how long and I can say, "only since May" and they say, "Wow, this is incredible." I've never made a scarf; but I consider myself an intermediate knitter with ambitious tendencies.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Not currently, but if you ask REALLY sweetly, I will. ;)

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Um, um. I'm not all that picky. Because of bad old-factory memories I loathe Cucumber-Melon and Cotton Blossom from Bath and Body Works. But other than that, I'm pretty flexible. My favorite bath shop in the world is lush (lush.com), in case you needed to know.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Boy do I have a sweet tooth. I love CANDY more than chocolate (yes, I'm a girl -- it is a allowed). I'm partial to gummy items, jelly beans, and gum drops. However, I must admit, I'm currently on a quest to find the butt I was meant to have (it is under there somewhere) -- so if I could beg to avoid sweets -- I have no self control at all where they are concerned.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don't spin (cuts into the knitting time), but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE handspun yarn. I am in a controlling my hobbies place in my life. I used to do a bunch of crafty things, but I never could stick with them (please don't ask my husband about the cross stitch). I found knitting and I have never looked back.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My favorites are 80's and random country music. Mostly what I listen to these days on my iPod are audiobooks. I'm a huge fan of listening and knitting. We have more tech/computer crap in this house than you can imagine -- if I can't play it, no one on this planet can.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Hmmm, nothing like a hard question here. I love lots of colors. I'm not a huge fan of purple, it is a long story and while I may someday forgive purple -- it was at one point in my life thrust upon me (more accurately my bridemaid) and when I complained, I was told if I ever owned anything purple the thruster would never let me forget it. I own NOTHING that all purple (or even lilac) -- I do have some yarn that has SMALL touches of purple. But that didn't answer what I like, right? Hmm -- I'm mostly a fall color kind of girl. But currently I've been completely into pinks and greens (ala the Preppy Handbook). Helpful? I'm thinking no.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Yes, I have one -- a family that is. Oh, do you want specifics? Ok, I have a husband and one son, who will be three in August. I have 4 beasts in the house. I have 1 dog, who is sweet has sweet can be; a thief of some food items; and can not give doggies kisses nor lift his leg. I have three cats. 1 overweight, orange tabby who is 10 years old now. He is MINE and very loving. My husband has a cat who is 7 this fall. She may have only just now forgiven me for taking her side of the bed. And the dog has a cat, who is basically the single best cat personality I've ever met. He doesn't get mad at anything, he will greet everyone at the door and never met a bowl of food that he doesn't want to eat.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Hmm. I live in Northern California -- recently moved from the cold East coast regions. So I can say not often. Of the 4, I'd wear a poncho or mittens more than hats and scarves.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Right now it is socks. I'm in a sock and sweater knitting mode. I love socks because they are portable, quick and fun to knit. Plus I love people asking me why I would knit socks. The other thing I like knitting are felted handbags.

13. What are you knitting right now?
I have 2 sweaters on the needles and a pair of socks and one fair isle handbag.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Oh YES -- YES, YES, YES. Did I mention I dig it?

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
My favs right now are Addi Turbos. I fought the metal needle thing, but I'm into them now. I only own one pair of straight needles and I never use them. I much prefer circs, but will do the flex needle thing too. Don't dig plastic.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No, I want one desperately. I'm told I must have one from my friend KnitNik (who you could always ping for more details if you need them), she literally sends my e-coupons all the time.

17. How did you learn to knit?
KnitNik taught me -- and by doing so, I decided to make her my best friend. I love her for sharing. I am even forced to thank her husband for asking about it and setting us up.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
The pink sweater. It is in need of the balance of the i-cord edging to be complete -- well, that and buttons that I have no idea what I want or what will look right. It was started in August of last year and was completed except for the edge since February -- I've not touched it since then.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
My birthday. Don't you celebrate it in your house? I'm weird about my birthday, and I like to celebrate it as much as possible.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Miniature teddy bears and more yarn. On the bears I'm only into those designed by Deb Canham, an English artist living in Florida. I haven't bought many in years because of the need for yarn.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I need a really good stitchanary. I tend to look at patterns as suggestions so I am dying to get my hands on some Elizabeth Zimmerman's works -- especially anything take talks to theory on knitting. My favorite sock book is Simple Socks: Plain and Fancy -- for just this reason. I don't subscribe to any mags yet.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Steeks. I really want to try them. But I'm a total chicken. Not 100% true, I'm not a total chicken -- the thought of cutting hand knit kills me -- but until last summer the thought of throwing wool in the washer was horrible too. I am not too old to learn.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I'm a sock knitter. My foot is 9" long and 9" in circumference around the ball of my foot. I don't fold my socks over and like to wear them at least 7" up my leg.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
September 16th --- please kindly put it in your calendar. ;)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

#22 - you are not a chicken at all! You are a far more adventurous knitter than I ever have been or will be, and you have spurred me on to learn things I never would have thought of trying! Who else would take on a full-blown very complicated sweater as her 3rd project?

And speaking of that - go finish that sweater! It's gorgeous, but it will look much better on you than in the bottom of your stash!

12:35 PM  
Blogger badmommy said...

Can I just say I LOVE this entry? Really, really enjoyed it!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippie! I am a sweet, kind, pretty person. Wait... Are you buttering me up to make sure you get good stuff? It worked. I am going to shop for you now.

Your Secret Pal

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home