Join me in Snarkville

Being snarky is the only thing that makes this place enjoyable. After all, if you can't laugh at others, how do you feel superior?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Snarkville, Left Coast

Treat me no differently than you would any Queen. I rule my Snarky kingdom with some kind of dignity, but I refuse to add grace. I rule with my Prince of a husband (he can't be King, since he married into his royal title) and my son the Duke of Snarkville.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Cool, Mid-Life Crisis, or Insane? Please decide.

Yes, it seems like just yesterday I was thinking I was finally starting to feel less insane. I've been scanning various blogs who have put up their answers to the Secret Pal program questionaire. I'm beginning to think I may be a little sane -- compared to some of my fellow knitters (which in my defense, I'm not thinking as a positive -- just more like I've not been knitting long enough and perhaps need to buy more yarn). Then IT happened.

In talking to the Prince last night, he mentioned something that would be really cool to own -- what with gas prices going over the top. And like a complete dumbass, I say, "Honey, if you want a Vespa, get a Vespa." He says, "You'll let me get a Vespa?" Yes -- if I said, YES -- I meant it. Then my brain kicks in.
Reasons NOT to buy a Vespa:
  1. Prince takes Duke to school so it can not be Prince's daily driver.
  2. I work in my house, so I don't commute more than from the kitchen to the basement.
  3. We can't ride it on the weekends because Duke can't ride it until he's at least tall enough to have his feet touch the pegs -- probably at least 10.
  4. Three motor vehicles in a family of two drivers.
  5. We don't have motorcycle licenses. And neither of us have driven one before
So, I was forced to ask ONE little question -- "When will you drive it?" So Prince thought and thought.

This morning -- as we were driving up to Santa Rosa to test drive and learn more, Princes says, "I've been thinking -- who in this family makes short trips without Duke all day long in the car that gets 17 MPG?" Yep -- it would be MINE. Hmmm, the hardship here, huh? (Yes, my knitting friends -- I checked there is MORE than enough room for yarn in the storage areas.)

So, if you are wondering where all the best fodder for Snarkville will come from Monday morning -- I'd put good money on the DMV while I take the test to get a permit.

I must ask -- do we think this is a cool idea, a mid-life crisis (early -- I always was an early bloomer), or just frankly insane?

4 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

So here's the problem as I see it: Vespa's don't seem a likely conveyance for royalty. The big thing is you'll have to learn to drive it with a flowing scarf around your head and Jackie-O glasses. On the plus side, the irreverance shown by riding it inspite of what people might think plays into your legend.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Insane. But that's not necessarily a Bad Thing. :-)

7:31 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Um.........well, a wee bit, maybe.

I used to want a motorcycle. Then I got a convertible and let me tell you, I realized then and there, how crazy people drive and how I never wanted to be less protected than I was in a convertible with a roll bar.

Why don't you rent one for a week and see if you even LIKE it?

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. I have always wanted a Vespa, especially a really old one. Then I could be Princess Vespa (famed Druish Princess of Spaceballs fame)! Can't wait to see it, as I know you and the Prince too well - once it's discussed, it's probably a done deal. Now if I could just figure out how to tote one teen and one tween to school each day on the back of one... And think of the cool, felted saddlebags you can make!

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home