Join me in Snarkville

Being snarky is the only thing that makes this place enjoyable. After all, if you can't laugh at others, how do you feel superior?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Snarkville, Left Coast

Treat me no differently than you would any Queen. I rule my Snarky kingdom with some kind of dignity, but I refuse to add grace. I rule with my Prince of a husband (he can't be King, since he married into his royal title) and my son the Duke of Snarkville.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Reading Between the Lines

I must ask you if you think I'm over-reacting or if I've summed up my recent phone experience fairly well.

Me: I'd like to make an appointment.
Phone Lady: Have we ever seen you before?
Translation: Do I have to be nice to you because you will recognize me in the grocery store?
Me: I'm new to the area, so no.
Phone Lady: I just want you to be aware that we don't have a new patient appointment open until the 3rd week in May. Will that be ok?
Translation: Please don't make me do the computer work needed to put you into the system and frankly, we don't want/need any more people coming in here to cause us to get off our large butts and do actual work. Please find someone else who might like you more.
Me: Do I have a choice?
Phone Lady: No, but if you don't want to wait you can find another doctor who might be able to see you sooner.
Translation: Please go elsewhere. PLEASE.
Me: Would you like me to find another doctor, or are you capable of seeing me during the 3rd week of May?
Phone Lady: What day would you prefer?
Me: Friday.
Phone Lady: The doctor only works Monday through Thursday.
Translation: Nothing you request will be met with an acceptance or helpful answer.
Me (thinking -- that's shocking the doctor and I have the same schedule): Ok -- well, I'm fairly open that week -- seeing as it is 5 weeks away -- why don't we look at times and see if a day falls out because of the time. What do you have mid-day?
Phone Lady: 11am on the 15th?
Me: done.
Phone Lady: What are all your personal details? (this is not an exact quote, but you get the idea -- she asks for name, number, breast size, insurance company)
Me: Answers
Phone Lady: Just so you know, the doctor is no longer taking new patients with XYZ insurance; but since I already have you in the system, he'll see you.
Translation: It will be harder to delete you and you seem like the kind of woman who may hurt me if I cancel this appointment in 5 weeks since I've been such an ass thus far.
Me: Is that information I need? Does it affect me or my appointment at all?
Phone Lady: Well...............................No.
Me: Good. Let's move on then. See you next month.

Now, I must ask -- do these people sound like they want my business? Do we think I need a new doctor? Is it wrong to want to find a new doctor and not cancel this appointment and just stand them up?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Some doctors charge you a non-cancellation fee if you don't cancel your appointment.

I would keep the appointment and look for a differnt doctor in the next 5 weeks.

Crazy!

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They don't want your business - I can't believe how totally blunt she was about it. I would definitely find another doctor, and cancel that appointment, especially since they said they weren't taking any new patients with your insurance. You can bet that come contract renewal time, they won't be taking ANY patients with that insurance, and you'll have to find a new doctor anyway. Find someone who wants your business, because if they're this bad on the phone, imagine how they will be in person! You don't want to deal with that when you're going to the doctor.

Love ya, and love your new blog!

3:03 PM  
Blogger badmommy said...

Your Highness:

Hang onto that appointment till you know you've got something else (better) lined up. I LOATHE my doctor* (and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual) but have had NO success finding anybody older than 12 within a 25 mile radius who's taking new patients with my insurance.

No can do lunch on Friday this week. Want to do lunch another week and maybe I can pick up the orange yarn for you before Thurs night?

(*This is the doctor who, after I lost 85 lbs said "Congratulations! You're no longer obese. Just overweight.")

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home